Please Call One of Our board-certified Worker's compensation Specialists For a Free Consultation (833) 444-4127

Cardinal Law Partners.

Please Call One of Our board-certified Worker's compensation Specialists For a Free Consultation (833) 444-4127

  • Published: October 13, 2019
Understanding Social Security Disability Reporting Requirements

Applying for Social Security disability benefits can be a long process. Few claimants are approved initially. After an initial denial, there are time limits to file for reconsideration or to request a hearing. It can take months for the Social Security Administration to schedule a hearing. To make matters worse, the Social Security Administration expects the claimant to notify them if something important happens while their claim is adjudicated and even after they are approved for benefits. Cardinal Law Partners has the experience to know the types of events that the Social Security Administration needs to know about so that benefits are not jeopardized.

What Types Of Things Are Required To Be Reported?

The Social Security Administration requires many things be reported. A claimant is required to report the following to the Social Security Administration:

  • If your mailing address changes.
  • If your citizenship or immigration status changes.
  • If you leave the United States for 30 consecutive days or longer.
  • You are confined to jail or prison for more than 30 consecutive days.
  • If you have a change of marital status.
  • You return to work.
  • You begin to receive workers’ compensation benefits.
  • You become the parent of a child.

What Documents May The Social Security Administration Need?

The Social Security Administration may request several documents in response to a report that there has been a change in one or more of the above areas of a claimant’s life. Common documents the Social Security Administration requests include birth certificates, pay stubs, workers’ compensation forms or other paperwork, and legal documents that may have to do with incarceration or trip outside of the United States. The Social Security Administration recommends that the claimant maintain copies of any documents that are sent to their attention.

How Are Changes Reported To The Social Security Administration?

The Social Security Administration is flexible in how the information is relayed to them. If a claimant has a change that requires notification, then the claimant can call the Social Security Administration directly, mail the appropriate documents, or present to the Social Security Administration in person to notify them of the changes. The Social Security Administration maintains a toll free number: 1-800-772-1213.

How Cardinal Law Partners Can Help

At Cardinal Law Partners, our lawyers are always ready to represent claimants before the Social Security Administration on their Social Security disability claims. Enjoy peace of mind that our legal practice has experience in presenting disability claims. Our 50 years of combined legal experience allows for development of capable case strategies. If you need help your claim, or even have questions about how to report changes in your status, then contact us for a free consultation right away.

Since our inception, Cardinal Law Partners has been providing clear and practical legal advice for claimant throughout Raleigh, Greensboro, Charlotte, and Belmont. If you wish to learn more about Cardinal Law Partners or our practice on Social Security disability, do not hesitate to schedule a time to speak with us.

Cardinal Law Partners

Cardinal Law Partners fights to help injured workers and
have spent 50+ years representing injured workers get
the benefits they deserve - Call Us Now - (833) 444-4127

Skip to content